Go forth and serve

Once, a teacher of mine said that he had never had depression. When the class asked him why, he just said he read books to keep his mind busy.

Since then, I've been wondering about what could truly keep someone's mind busy enough to completely avoid depression or anything alike.

And today I think I've found my answer through this video.


No, I am not suggesting you have to become a mother, blow dry wet mattresses, or run around the house to be happy. What I found interesting about this video is that she found the healing to her soul through service.

It reminded me of a story President Hinckley once told about when he was serving on a mission. He was sick, tired, and really wanted to go home. Then, his father wisely told him, "Forget yourself and go to work." (Click here to read the full account).

When the Lord said, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me" (Matthew 16:24), he did not mean we would get stupid and get another identity. We would still know who we are, but by following Christ's example in serving others, we would "forget ourselves," or forget about our tiny problems, and get a broader sense of the reality.

King Benjamin said that "when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God" (Mosiah 2:17).

When we serve others, we get closer to God. We forget about why we were even depressed, and we fill our souls with charity, which is the pure love of God.

Now, it seems a pretty good win-win equation to me. Don't you think?

So, if you've been feeling depressed, I have one suggestion for you: Forget yourself and go to work.

Um comentário

Cindy and Jordan disse...

i just came across your blog through my friend paula, and it's so cute. hope you dont mind, but i'm following you now :)